by David Carden.
The first boat lift at Anderton was designed by Edward Clark and opened to traffic in 1875. Operated hydraulically, it lifted or lowered vessels the 50 feet between the Weaver Navigation and the Trent and Mersey Canal above. It was converted to electrical operation between 1906 and 1908.
This book, now in an updated third edition, takes a detailed look at all aspects of the Lift's eventful life; its conception and construction; the conversion from hydraulic to electrical operation; and its operation, demise and eventual restoration.
Hard back. 180 pages. 22cms x 28.2cms approx. Illustrated with black & white drawings and photographs. Updated 3rd edition, 2012.